Are Online Classes Harder or Easier Than Campus Classes?
If you’re thinking about taking an online class then this is a question you are probably asking yourself. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer.
When you get right down to it, there should not be much of a difference between a college course taught in a traditional classroom vs. a college course taught via the Internet. The curriculum should be pretty much the same. The assignments should be pretty much the same. The professor should be pretty much the same.
But is that the case?
But they are always different.
– An online course usually does not require you to be online at a specific time. So you must have the discipline to login to your course a few times each week, or as often as your professor or school require. For some people this is the hardest part of taking an online course.
– An online course requires you to be proficient in using a computer. You usually do not need to be a computer expert, but you need to be able to open files, create and save files in the correct format, send and receive email, watch videos, and be able to do online research.
– An online course requires you to interact with other students. While this interaction is not face-to-face, you will need to either interact with other students on a message board, communicate via email in a group, or interact through videoconferencing.
And here are some benefits of taking an online course:
– You can go online at your convenience. Some classes may require you to be online at a specific time for some tasks, but most will be done on your time. So you don’t need to change your work or family schedule to be successful.
– You can think about your answers before responding. In a classroom setting, you may need to answer questions right on the spot. While working online, you can think through your answers first.
And those that don’t sit quietly and don’t participate. In an online course everyone gets an equal chance to give their thoughts and opinions.
So, are you ready to take an online course?
It is a great way to learn. With computers such an important part of our personal and professional lives, learning how to learn online is a great skill to have!